[whatwg] Context help in Web Forms

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> it would be helpful to have a way of including extra help, which may be
> provided by a popup dialogue, mouseover, etc.

The HTML4 "title" attribute provides this.

At one point we considered having a second attribute with a URI, help="",
similar to the XForms equivalent, for more detailed context-sensitive
help. However, we got feedback from implementors and Web designers saying
it wouldn't be that useful since it was not discoverable, and so it was
removed.

In HTML5 it is likely that a rel="" value for the <a> element will be
introduced which could be used to provide context-sensitive help while
still having discoverability for the common case: the link would be
visible in the markup, and the UA would be able to determine the closest
matching such link (according to a given algorithm) when looking for help.