[whatwg] [WA1] <sl> - The Selection List element

Aankhen wrote:

>>Reusing class has the added
>>advantage that authors are already familar with grouping items through
>>the class attribute and in particular, are already familar with
>>attaching style through class. This should make for a shallow learning
>>curve as using new features will be a simple matter of reusing existing
>>markup habits.
>>

>I understand why it is preferable.  I'm just a little wary of
>attaching semantics to specific classes, since they could conceivably
>collide with user classes.  One possible solution is to make them as
>long as possible, so that the likelihood is much lower; however, that
>reduces their usefulness, IMHO.

I totally agree. I'm not really suggesting attching semantics to
particular class names (although others are, in other places - the needs
some simple form of namespacing imho). I'm more suggesting that we have
a mechanism to attach predefined behaviors (such as selection) based on
class name. So I guess we could have an element like <selectgroup
classname="myclass" multiple="False" /> or somesuch to attach a behavior
to all the elements in class "myclass".

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs