[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Substantive - Section 5

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, fantasai wrote:

> "using the encoded data set as the standard input, and the resulting
> standard output as an HTTP response entity (see details below)"
>
> Drop the comma before the 'and'; you're not supposed to use a comma when
> linking two noun phrases.

Fair enough, fixed. I thought the comma improved readability though. When
I read it, I pause there, as if there was a comma.

>>>under 'get'
>>>
>>># Handle as if enctype was application/x-www-form-urlencoded
>>>
>>>I think you need to specify some kind of escaping on that data
>>>before you handle it like x-www-form-urlencoded.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean.
>
> The text for "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" says
>   # Use the encoded data set as the query value for a URI formed
>   # from the action URI and fetch it via HTTP GET.
>
> For x-www-form-urlencoded, the URL-escaping happens during the
> encoding stage. Therefore the encoded data set is already escaped,
> and can just be appended as the query value.
>
> An XML-encoded data set is not URL-escaped. You therefore can't
> just append it to the URI as a query string.

If you are handling the submission as if the enctype was
application/x-www-form-urlencoded, then why would you encode the data set
using application/x-www-form+xml? The whole _point_ is that you use
application/x-www-form-urlencoded! This is the same as for
multipart/form-data, in fact.

>>>File upload & post :
>>># Handle as if enctype was application/x-www-form-urlencoded.
>>>
>>>Does that mean you're sending the binary file data as the body
>>>of the sms message without any kind of MIME information?
>>
>> No? I don't understand why you would interpret this that way.
>
> It says
>    "Use the encoded data set as the default message body for a
>     message based on the specified action URI."
>
> If the file is binary data, then that binary data is the encoded
> set and therefore becomes the default message body. No?

If you're handling it as application/x-www-form-urlencoded, then the
encoded forhm data set only contains the filename. See section 5.3.