[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

Will Levine wrote:
> I'm no expert on the DOM, but I don't really understand what you mean.
> The following code:
>
> <object id="log" classid="pizza" name="mmm"></object>
> <script>
> alert(document.getElementById("log").getAttribute("name"));
> alert(document.getElementsByTagName("object")[0].getAttribute("classid"));
> </script>
>
> works exactly how I would expect it to work in IE 6.

    I believe what they meant that there's some problem related an
<object> having children when it loads, not after it's already in the
DOM. However, it would be nice to have this explained in detail.

    BTW, that code breaks in IE on my system.

> Also, I thought someone said something about IE discarding DOM info on
> unknown elements (e.g. datalist) also.

   IE ignores the styling and turns the children into siblings. However,
this problem is easily overcome by using the "html" namespace in IE, and
I understand that Dean Edwards' IE7 solves the problem completely
without the namespace hack. But who really cares, since it degrades
properly on a HTML4 UA.