[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:47:26 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > Whatever happened to this idea. It seems like it was never officially
> > shot down, but discussion about it just died out. It still seems a
> > good idea to me.
>
> We decided to drop it because IE6 drops the <object> element from the DOM,
> so using the above would mean you can't implement the combobox in IE6
> using HTCs or JS.

I'm no expert on the DOM, but I don't really understand what you mean.
The following code:

<object id="log" classid="pizza" name="mmm"></object>
<script>
alert(document.getElementById("log").getAttribute("name"));
alert(document.getElementsByTagName("object")[0].getAttribute("classid"));
</script>

works exactly how I would expect it to work in IE 6.

Also, I thought someone said something about IE discarding DOM info on
unknown elements (e.g. datalist) also.

Sorry about forgetting a question mark in the original message.

Will