Re: Getting rid of SDP (relation to ORTC)

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 2:57 PM, Lennart Grahl <lennart.grahl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Let's define a low level modular api (that is what most devs want
>> anyway) that could be reused in different scenarios (ICE+DTLS+ICE or
>> quick) easily.
>
> Isn't that what ORTC does provide?

So ORTC does a good job of what it does, which is get rid of the syntax of SDP and provide a programmatic interface to an RTP media stack that is roughly capable of what can be done with SDP Offer/Answer. As a result, most of ORTC 1:1 maps to the semantics or SDP.

Take something simple like ptime and maxptime in ORTC. To real understand what these are and how they fit into RTP, what they do in an offer/answer, etc, you will be reading SDP documents. The approach in new-media is to ask if we could get rid of tons of the baggage that has accumulated in RTP, solve a bunch of the features that are too hard to do in existing RTP/ICE,  and simplify the RTP in a huge way that allowed us to move to something with far simpler semantics that SDP.