Re: WPT test dependencies

I'd like to thanks Soares for bringing the test coverage of the spec from
10% to close to 99%, in a few months, Bocoup for their invaluable help in
reviewing the tests and the process, and google for their support in the
process.

Even thought it s not perfect (hence the 99%) I think it's an important
effort, that was necessary so we end up in a good position. Starting with
passing tests, and only having a few failing tests happening makes it easy
to maintain, as opposed to the original situation where we had no
visibility, or another usual situations where most test fails and shadow
new mistake, providing few incentive to add tests or clean the house. Tests
where originally only written by two or three volunteers on their free
time, (harald, dom, myself), with not enough time to really catch up.

This in turn allows people interested, and willing to keep things working
by providing PRs, as well as those who love to belittle other people work,
nag, mock, and humiliate on public mailing lists or tweets, to quickly
identify the failing tests and act on it.

At the time the test were written, they were fully and provably in sync
with the specs. A new coverage system was developed in collaboration with
Bocoup to make sure of that, that is being extended to other specs.

Now, the fact that recent changes in the specs broke the sync' with the
tests was already identified as a problem by Google (harald, foolip), and
is being addressed. The only way to address this is of course to enforce
changing the tests when there is a change in the spec, automatically. The
process is being changed right now to allow that. Even though we do not
have the equivalent of block chain's smart contract, we can modify the
commit / review / merge process to enforce it.

Everything is open source, if you spot a mistake, you are one PR away from
fixing it. It's faster than writing e-mails usually. Don't be shy, "Be a
programmer" (TM). The community will be very happy to have the relevant
discussion in the review thread.

--
Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA
President - CoSMo Software Consulting, Singapore

   -