Re: What would you like to see in WebRTC next? A low-level API?

On 24/01/2018 13:18, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> On 24 January 2018 at 11:15, Stefan Håkansson LK
> <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
>> The current (soon expiring) charter has some text on starting new work
>> once WebRTC 1.0 is at CR (which it by now is). In the charter it is said
>> that one of the principles that will be adhered to in the new work is:
>>
>> "Direct control: The new APIs are intended to provide direct control
>> over the details of real-time communication, where the application can
>> directly specify how information should be transmitted, without any
>> built-in negotiation semantics."
>>
>> I read "without any built-in negotiation semantics" as meaning there
>> should be no SDP O/A.
> Given that the whole WebRTC 1.0 API is governed by SDP rules, I would
> like to see a more clarifying text that explicitly drops SDP. Anyhow,
> those are good news.

The main problem for me is not the SDP O/A itself, but that SDP has
"infected" the API.

We have objects in WebRTC/ORTC that map underlying concepts on the SDP
unified plan (i.e. transceivers) and API methods that directly require
understanding of SDP semantics in order to use them.

So if we remove the O/A but we don't focus on providing a more
"developed oriented" API instead of an "SDP oriented" API we will get
back to the starting point.

Best regards

Sergio