Re: renaming updateIce

From: Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 16:31:35 -0400
To: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>, public-webrtc@w3.org
On 5/2/14 6:40 AM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:
> pc.updateIce({ "iceTransports": newValue });
>
> The above updates single option,

That is incorrect. It also sets requestIdentity to "ifconfigured":

dictionary RTCConfiguration {
     sequence<RTCIceServer> iceServers;
     RTCIceTransports       iceTransports = "all";
     RTCIdentityOption      requestIdentity = "ifconfigured";
};

Absence is not feasible or detectable with default values, just like
with default values on c++ function-arguments. Like in c++, the function
cannot distinguish between "ifconfigured" actually being passed in and
nothing being passed in.

Said another way: webidl binding-code literally fills in the default
values before handing it to the implementation (or in the case of a
return value, back to content).

Therefore, updateIce as described here
http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#methods
> 2. If the iceTransports member was omitted and the ICE Agent's ICE
> transports setting is unset, set the ICE Agent's ICE transports
> setting to the iceTransports dictionary member default value.

is not implementable using webidl-bindings, because there's no way to
test whether the iceTransports member was omitted, because it has a
default value in webidl.

Said another way: Our spec cannot dictate implementation logic around
default values, because that behavior is well-defined.

I recommend treating webidl behavior as invariant in all descriptions of
implementation and return values. e.g. remove all mention of default
values in prose.

.: Jan-Ivar :.