Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On the topic of the gdocs survey that Peter T setup...for my feedback
I've tried to use little more positive language e.g. not "strongly
dislike" - but instead "strongly like a change" 8)

I'm actually really impressed with and enthusiastic about what has been
achieved for WebRTC so far.

Yet I also think there's a compelling case for making a change now
before 1.0 is finalised that will make WebRTC significantly better (less
fragile and more extensible).

I think the issues laid out in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-raymond-rtcweb-webrtc-js-obj-api-rationale-00
are very clear and well thought out.

Also, in the gdocs survey I think the "OK/Good for simple things"
question is a bit misleading.

Firstly, "OK" and "Good" really are two separate things.

Secondly, this initially led me to think about just a basic video call
and I answered "yes". But when you think about "mute" or "on hold", etc.
which are pretty simple things too then the answer clearly has to be no.

I also think how this all relates to the whole RTCDataChannel model is
important. Both for channel setup and for the ability to use
RTCDataChannels for signaling and how that relates to both SDP and O/A.

Just a few thoughts.

roBman