Re: DOM Futures

From: cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:01:32 -0400
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 13/07/2013 1:09 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> I don't believe you can count JIB as in favor. As I understand his
> position
> it's that he thinks Futures are in principle a good idea, but that
> it's too
> late for 1.0.

Hi Eric,

     This particular issue keeps on being brought up so I think it's
worth discussing further.

 1. When you say "too late for 1.0", how close are we to a release
    (ballpark, in months)?
 2. Are you referring exclusively to the Capture API, or are you
    implying that the Core API is about to get released?
 3. Does the WG plan to release the Capture API months/years in advance
    of the Core API, or will their release be synchronized?

> There is a resolution, though it's not minuted as such. Stefanh (the
> chair) writes:
>
> "the WebRTC and MC TF doesn't seem convinced
> ... we could move MediaStream Recording and Image Capture to Futures
> ... any final comments?"
>
> Given this result, I don't really see the need for action items. If
> you would
> like the WG to reconsider this, I would focus on building consensus among
> WG members, rather than having another meeting to repeat the previous
> discussion.

     We definitely need to have an official meeting regarding:

 1. Realistic release dates for WebRTC
 2. Our plans for addressing the numerous objections brought up by the
    community in the public-webrtc mailing list
 3. Revisiting DOM Futures in light of the fact that the API has been
    officially frozen since our last meeting:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Jun/0075.html

Thanks,
Gili