Re: [SPAM] RE: VS: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Philipp Hancke
<fippo@goodadvice.pages.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> I think this is very true. The DataChannel will in fact be the one thing
>> that will bring more innovation than anything
>> else and treating it as second class can only hurt our progress. The idea
>> of thinking DataChannel first before making
>

> Innovation? Have you ever heard of Adobes RTMFP?
> http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2008-develop/future-of-communication-with-rtmfp-by-matthew-kaufman/
> http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2009-develop/p2p-on-the-flash-platform-with-rtmfp/
> http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-develop/advanced-p2p-with-rtmfp-tips-and-tricks/
> Note how old those slides are... and how advanced concepts like the netgroup
> are.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thornburgh-adobe-rtmfp-09 even specifies
> the wire protocol. IIRC it has audio/video and data at equal rank even.
>
> That "innovation" has been available for years, yet nobody really used it.

You misunderstood - I referred to innovation of peer-to-peer
applications on the Web, not about making audio and video be
transported over the data channel. While the latter is possible, I do
think we need to make custom approaches for audio and video. What bugs
me a bit though is that we make decisions on audio and video first and
then think about how to simplify it for data, rather than the other
way round: solving the simple case first and then adding functionality
for the more specific use cases.

Anyway - we frequently re-invent things for the Web that have been
done before and when we do so, new things are made possible. I'm
personally curious to see where this will all take us!

Cheers,
Silvia.