Re: Future F2F meetings?

Ignoring any other factors around the recent TPAC meeting, I think it
was significantly less productive than it would have otherwise been if
we'd held it with a larger time buffer between it and any IETF meetings.

For example, the slides that I put together for the part of the
discussion that I led were only what I could throw together the
preceding Sunday over a couple of hours, since the IETF week offered no
time to do so. Beyond that, I felt somewhat unprepared for the remaining
conversations for the same reason: my attention had been towards the
IETF meeting.

Combine this with the physical and mental exhaustion of a solid week of
standards meetings, and I'm afraid that a face-to-face meeting
immediately after IETF week is unlikely to yield any progress. If
anything, the exhaustion will make people more grumpy and less in a mood
for compromise.

Let me put a finer point on this.

First, look at this page; pay particular attention to the "Special
Requests" column: https://ietf.org/meeting/88/requests

I count on the order of 20 IETF working group chairs who have explicitly
requested not to be scheduled on Friday (I'm including requests like
"schedule only on Monday through Wednesday"). While some of these have
plausible reasons (one cites a visa expiration), the majority of them
read like excuses to make that request. Some merely make the request
without even trying to justify it.

Why?

Because Fridays of IETF week are less useful. Because everyone is grumpy
and frazzled and operating at a diminished mental capacity. Because
nothing useful happens when people are in that state of body and mind.
It's the elephant in the room; while we don't acknowledge it much
anymore, experienced chairs know that it means to have a meeting at the
end of IETF week.

And then we want to stand up and choose /exactly that suboptimal time/
to schedule a meeting? There's no better way to bias for failure.

/a