Behaviour on tab-switching (Re: User media selection)

Isolating a single topic since it seems to be possible to get consensus
on it....

On 11/30/2011 05:59 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:
> >> How does a user look up something in another tab while talking?
> >
> > This should work just fine. The other tab would not have the status
> view
> > (but the tab which has an ongoing audio/video session should have an
> > indicator that audio/video is being captured - but the full screen case
> > is difficult).
>
> There was an implication of muting when not focused - true?  People have
> said things assuming both muting on tab-switch and no muting on
> tab-switch.
My take is that the browser should not cause anything to happen to media
streams by default when tabs are switched. There are enough callbacks in
the DOM that if the application desires such behaviour, it can program it.
> FYI, I don't consider the color change on the tab to be sufficient or
> discoverable enough by general users.
>
> There's certainly a use-case for people to keep talking while the
> tab/window
> is not focused ("let me look that up in Google Maps...").
>

> >> What happens if the user focuses another window?
> > ...or minimizes the browser. Should there be an indication in the
> system
> > tray?
>
> Probably.  Also what if another window obscures the browser window or
> where
> the indicator is?
Our current thinking (Chrome) is that the indicator of "microphone is
live" should always live in the system tray (or mobile equivalent).

There are enough "dangerous" indicators that pop into the system tray
that the fact that the system tray is obscured in full screen mode is
something that isn't an unique challenge posed by WebRTC applications.