Re: Promoting Web/W3C Anniversary Symposium?

Ooops, this should have been on this week's telcon agenda!

I think Janet is correct, that there should really be a clear, written
policy about this.

To focus the discussion, I've created a set of clearly defined options from
the comments so far.  Could people reply with an indication of which they
would be agreeable to, and which would be a concern?

Renoir: please reply with a clear deadline for making a decision on the W3C
request.

Possible policies:

1) No promo content on WPD.  That's not the purpose of the site, and it
takes time away from other work.

2) Any steward may request, on occasion, to temporarily replace their logo
in the page footer with a promotional logo, and to add promotional copy and
links to their steward page (which the footer logos link to).  "On
occasion" would need to be clearly defined, e.g., not more than once a
year.  The logo&copy could not imply that WPD endorses or is designed for
any specific product, however.

3) A small area for a promo image+link will be added in the page header.
 This will only be used to promote events directly related to WPD, e.g.
DocSprints.

4) A promo image+link in the page header may be used to promote WPD events,
or W3C events that are of broad interest to the community.

5) A promo image+link in the page header may be used to promote events that
are of broad interest to the community (this would have to be more clearly
defined), at the request of any WPD steward.  There would need to be
clearly defined limits on how often requests could be made, and how long
the promotion could last, e.g., no more than once a year and no longer than
one month.  There would also need to be a policy on conflicting requests
(since we wouldn't want more than one promo at a time): first come, first
served OR split the overlapped time?

Finally, policies (2)+(3) or (2)+(4) could be combined, creating a very
restricted promo header, but allowing stewards to use the footer logo and
steward page to promote other events.

I would be supportive of 1-4 or any combination thereof.  I'm concerned
that (5) could lead to ongoing debates about what is acceptable and how to
manage conflicting requests.

But I'm just one contributor, as Doug said in his initial message, it's
important that there is broad community support and support from the
stewards.

--ABR