Re: Proposal for changing www page to focus on community

Hi, Janet-

This is a good idea. Let's figure out what we can do easily first, then
build up to the a full-scale redesign of the landing page.

Regards-
-Doug

On 5/14/13 1:22 PM, Janet Swisher wrote:
> OK, I'll submit issues to Bug Genie for the various pieces of this.
>
> On 5/10/13 4:08 AM, Chris Mills wrote:
>> I think this is a good idea - your mockup certainly gives the feel
>> of a much richer, more active community effort, whereas at the
>> moment if feels pretty static.
>>
>> Chris Mills Opera Software, dev.opera.com W3C Fellow, web education
>> and webplatform.org Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design"
>> (http://goo.gl/AKf9M)
>>
>> On 9 May 2013, at 18:02, Janet Swisher<jswisher@mozilla.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When a visitor comes towww.webplatform.org, there's no direction
>>> indication that this is a community project that they could join,
>>> with ongoing activity that they can see and participate in.
>>>
>>> If we want to encourage visitors to join, we need to make our
>>> activity more visible. I propose that we replace the current
>>> layout of the www page with one that exposes more of the
>>> community aspect of the site.
>>>
>>> I've done an extremely basic mock-up to give an idea of what I
>>> have in mind. I am so not-a-designer that I do wireframes in a
>>> spreadsheet tool.
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_fDuA-PPFydE9vbkR4UWpPRHNjaGFxcjA5WXd5SVE&usp=sharing

What do y'all think of this idea? There is a certain amount of coding
required to support this, but it could be done incrementally (e.g., blog
feed first, then discussions, then events).