Re: Web Platform Meeting Notes 3/15

Thanks, Julee.

tl/dr:  DougM is tied up Thurs and Friday so he did a brain dump on
the community development task force meeting outline, to try to enable
and inspire some of the work that needs to be done next (imho).

I'm currently booked at O'Reilly this Thursday and Friday (all day) to
be a student in their live trainings on closures and Clojure (two
topics on two days), so I am likely to miss both the Community
Development task force meeting as well as the regular Friday content
meeting.  At the risk of injecting some stumbling blocks for others, I
fleshed out some detail for the community development conversation,
hopefully consolidating, clarifying, and simplifying what I tried to
say in earlier and longer rambles on key topics.

I assume rollback is only a few clicks away.

I still feel very strongly that the upcoming doc sprint is a key
opportunity to expand our visibility and transparency by fleshing out
both our prep plans, and execution plans, for the sprint, as an
exercise in using the new project tools that Garbee has delivered for
us.  It is also my assessment that there's lots of work to map the
generic capabilities of TBG onto whatever turns out to be best
practices for our work here, and that we will do best by rapidly
iterating on small subsets of the larger problem (i.e., plan the
sprint and one other area well, and use the lessons learned to go more
directly to what's needed on the next topic).

Somehow the notes on making relative status and progress more visible
on the main pages (as well as individual topics) hasn't yet made it
onto the agenda, but I mention it here as a great first foray for a
small design team at the next event.  The current layout is entirely
flat -- every topic appears to have the same status, priority,
relevance, and focus, and we want to shift that so that the page is
way more dynamic and engaging and reflective of our progress on our
game-changing mission(s).

Maybe somewhat hidden between the lines is the non-trivial challenge
of getting large-scale technical volunteer participation, at the
levels needed to establish a de-facto standard reference.  I have
tried to drop some hints and best practices from experience alongside
the brainstorming and other suggestions, with no attachment to any
individual idea's adoption.  I have left all of this under the
community development conversation, because it seems to me that that
is where we have to confront the gap from our currently unrealized
potential to our dazzlingly game-changing possibilities.  It is in no
way intended to burden, distract, or delay the work of that task
force, and I will gladly redirect all commentary, given a more
appropriate direction to aim at.

Submitted in solidarity and partnership,
DougM