WPWG Working on Common Systems (was Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group)

On 04/04/2016 06:49 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Thirdly, perhaps we could have seen this coming and presented a
> greater front by working more together.

+1

> I think the verified claims work and webid work could and should have
> come together.  IMHO the hostility shown to you by Henry Story was a
> big part of that, and we should perhaps have perhaps been less
> tolerant of Henry's periodic outbursts.

Henry and our organization have reconciled our differences and are now
working together on a variety of things. Water under the bridge. So, I
think what you want to happen is happening now.

For example, Henry and Digital Bazaar are collaborating on the HTTP
Signatures work and some of the upcoming generalized ledger work. Can't
talk much about that now, but we'll be able to in a month or so time.

> The work by digital bazaar aligns quite closely with the work of the
> director of the w3c in Solid, but we are not a united force so can
> be more easily divided and conquered.  Is it time to put the
> technical differences to one side (e.g. turtle vs json-ld, hash vs
> slash URIs) and create apps and app eco systems that work together?

I agree on that being a goal. We're stressed for time and money (aren't
we all?), so don't see an easy way to bridge those systems at present.
In short, our customers are not paying us to work on SoLiD. We wish they
were. Our customers are (indirectly) paying us to solve Web Payments and
Identity Credentials on the Web.

Where there is a possibility of working together, we jump at the
opportunity, but there is only so much we can do with the resources that
we have... and most of those resources are going towards Web Payments
and Identity Credentials.

blog: The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern
http://manu.sporny.org/2016/browser-api-incubation-antipattern/