WPWG Require Reading (was Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group)

On 04/04/2016 06:49 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Secondly, it seems that many of the voting stakeholders are not as
> familiar with the material as they should be.  In other WG I have
> seen the concept of "required reading" proposed before a face to
> face.  Im concerned that consensus is being games e.g. by vote
> stuffing.  What can we do to achieve more balance?

There was required reading before the face-to-face - everyone was
supposed to read all of the specs under discussion. The issue is that a
number of the representatives either did not do the required reading, or
did not have the background necessary to understand what they were
reading, or did not understand how W3C works (or some combination of the
above).

We can't force people to learn about what they're voting on or discussing.

This is a long game and the way to convince folks is to engage them in
the long game. One of those mechanisms is by commenting on issues and
taking a position:

https://github.com/w3c/browser-payment-api/issues

blog: The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern
http://manu.sporny.org/2016/browser-api-incubation-antipattern/