Stellar launches - Ripple-like decentralized ledger

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:05:02 -0400
To: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
Looks like a fork of rippled, but that's purely conjecture at this
point... haven't looked into the details:

"Stellar is a decentralized protocol for sending and receiving money in
any pair of currencies. This means users can, for example, send a
transaction from their Yen balance and have it arrive in Euros, Yen, or
even bitcoin. We’re expecting to support the usual categories of
transactions: payments to a merchant, remittances back home, or rent
splits with a roommate.

You can hold a balance with a gateway, which is any network participant
you trust to accept a deposit in exchange for credit on the network.
Stellar also comes with a built-in digital currency, referred to as the
stellar, which we’re giving away for free. The currency will have value
(as determined by the market); however, its primary function is
providing a conversion path between other currencies.

We hope that people will build applications on top of Stellar to help
bridge the gap between digital and traditional currencies."

https://www.stellar.org/blog/introducing-stellar/

blog: High-Stakes Credentials and Web Login
http://manu.sporny.org/2014/identity-credentials/