Re: Use cases updated w/ glossary and roles

From: Stuart Langridge <sil@kryogenix.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:38:53 +0100
To: Tim Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On 31 July 2014 16:29, Tim Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2014, at 1:27 am, Stuart Langridge <sil@kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > could someone summarise what the NASCAR problem is?
>
> http://indiewebcamp.com/NASCAR_problem

Thank you, Tim! That's what I thought it might mean. I therefore think that
the term is being overapplied in criticism of the use cases. Specifically,
when people complain about the NASCAR problem I think that they mean that
they get repeatedly presented with a million little icons all the time and
they're almost all irrelevant almost all the time. However, the use case
document seems to flag any solution as having a NASCAR problem if you are
ever presented with a list of choices, even once. Michael Williams
identifies that this is avoided by remembering the choice made, which seems
sensible, but it seems to me that if the web payments initiative is
specifically designed to allow me to choose between many ways to pay, then
actually giving me that choice is rather inherent to the process, isn't it?

sil