Re: Apple AppStore revenues - 85%+ come from games

my 2cts:

*i'm not entirely sure i understand how in-app payment is different to
usual checkout apart from the fact that in most cases, particularly for
games, it is micro-payment? you have a product to buy, the app receive a
message the product has been paid, and it is delivered to the user
(digital content)?
*I'm not sure i understand in which way the topic (game) has any impact
on the payment part? today 99% of app business model is on freemium
(free+in-app model) (see the great slideshow of business insider:
THE FUTURE OF MOBILE: 2014
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-future-of-the-mobile-industry-2014-11#-1
)

Le 10/12/2014 15:22, Manu Sporny a écrit :
> Maybe we should be focusing more on gaming use cases?
>
> http://qz.com/309715/apple-is-overwhelmingly-reliant-on-games-for-app-store-revenue/
>
> We do have an in-app purchasing use case, maybe it should be a higher
> priority:
>
> https://web-payments.org/specs/source/use-cases/#in-app-purchases
>
> The trend seems to be the same for Google Play. "During Google's first
> quarter of this year, 90% of revenue came from games.":
>
> http://mashable.com/2014/06/26/freemium-apps-google-play/
>
> https://plus.google.com/+PaulSimbeckHampson/posts/hBwRez4ar8H
>
> I'll note that we don't have anyone from the games industry in this
> group yet. If you have some contacts, please reach out to them and get
> them to join this group so we can get their input.

Stephane Boyera        stephane@w3.org
W3C                +33 (0) 6 73 84 87 27
BP 93
F-06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
France