Re: Mirroring posts to Web Payments CG?

Ian Jacobs wrote:
> Why not?
On 04/15/2015 10:04 AM, David Ezell wrote:
> The public ig list is set to be writable only by the IG members, but
> anyone can subscribe.

>From what I understand, only IG members can subscribe.

Look at the Web Payments CG list or the WebAppSec list (at the top, see
"subscribe to this list"):

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/

versus the Web Payments IG list (no option to subscribe):

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments-ig/

You can follow along via RSS, but that makes it nearly impossible to
respond to discussions in a way that is threaded (and the reply-to mail
headers are stripped, and even if they were there, they'd point to the
wrong mailing list).

> This was simply how it "came out of the box" from the chairs' point
> of view.
>
> I don't have any strong objection to changing it.

One possible downside is that we get flooded w/ comments from a very
small subset of people that don't necessarily make constructive
comments. I've always found that this risk is worth taking in the name
of transparency and inclusivity.

What I'm proposing is that we keep this mailing list the way it is, and
shunt those comments to the webpayments-ig-comments mailing list so that
those in this group w/ little time to deal w/ comments from the public
can ignore the webpayments-ig-comments mailing list and focus on this
list (which will have a much reduced email load).

That said, if we wanted to open this mailing list up to the public like
webappsec and html is, I'd be all for that. :)

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: High-Stakes Credentials and Web Login
http://manu.sporny.org/2014/identity-credentials/