Re: Comments on the OWL-Lite draft

At 2:42 PM -0700 9/3/02, Bob MacGregor wrote:
>Recommendations:
>
>(1) Toss out cardinalities altogether in OWL-Lite.  FunctionalProperty already
>covers the MAX1 case.  Add a 'RequiredProperty' property to cover MIN1.
>Invent a third property to cover MAX0.
>
>(2) State upfront whether or not OWL-Lite is intended to be
>upward compatible with RDF(S).
>
>(3) Toss out TransitiveProperty and SymmetricProperty.  They add little
>if any value, and make things harder to implement.
>
>(4) Forget about OWL-Heavy (for now; maybe forever).

Bob, I'll let the editors respond to the specific comments, this
latter is definitely an issue the group will consider - it's already
in our issue list (i.e. whether to have levels or just "heavy" or
just lite)

>Question:
>
>What happened to 'first' and 'rest'?  The 'bag' stuff in RDF is hideous.
>If 'first' and 'rest' clash with some other properties from a computability
>standpoint, consider eliminating those other properties.

the RDF Core WG has announced that they intend to provide a
collection parsetype similar to the one used in DAML+OIL (i.e. first
and rest) -- we currently intend to use their solution to closed
sets, at the time we wrote these documents we didn't have details of
their solution.

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler