Re: What is a WebID?

Hi Nathan,

sorry, I was too compact on this one.  I acknowledge the addressed
problem of HR14 that it could be useful to distinguish between documents
and things. I also see that it adds a whole layer of complexity and
therefore barriers to adoption.  Then on top of that, I don't know or
remember any use case where the distinction between docs and things is
very central. For me getting the data is always key, so the Profile Doc
triples are useless overhead, plus we also don't have a standardized
versioning mechanism in place, e.g. 303 redirecting to docs with version
in URI.

 From the client / retrieval side and also the publisher side the 303
just adds overhead and potential errors when sameAs linking. My proposal
to simplify was to use a more REST API-like approach:

WebID: https://databus.dbpedia.org/kurzum#this

curl -H "Accept: text/turtle" "https://databus.dbpedia.org/kurzum"

Option a) return 200 with header Location:
https://databus.dbpedia.org/kurzum.ttl

Option b) return 200 and put all the info about what's the document /
information resource / versioning in the delivered data.  (note that
most implementations would leave that out, just returning the data, not
the info about the docs).

I am aware that this blurs the line between docs and entities,
non/information resources.  The thing is that I really don't know see
any disadvantages from the practical side to implement it this way, i.e.
like any other REST API.

-- Sebastian