Re: What is a WebID?

čt 9. 11. 2023 v 14:54 odesílatel Sebastian Hellmann <
hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> napsal:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> sorry, I was too compact on this one.  I acknowledge the addressed problem
> of HR14 that it could be useful to distinguish between documents and
> things. I also see that it adds a whole layer of complexity and therefore
> barriers to adoption.  Then on top of that, I don't know or remember any
> use case where the distinction between docs and things is very central. For
> me getting the data is always key, so the Profile Doc triples are useless
> overhead, plus we also don't have a standardized versioning mechanism in
> place, e.g. 303 redirecting to docs with version in URI.
>
> From the client / retrieval side and also the publisher side the 303  just
> adds overhead and potential errors when sameAs linking. My proposal to
> simplify was to use a more REST API-like approach:

FWIW: when we defined WebID at TPAC, TimBL explicitly said no 303s.  I
asked why.  He said: "Because redirects are a pain".  There was later
lobbying on the list to include 303s.  I think one argument was the dbpedia
used it.  I remember many conversations with kingsley about why dbpedia
(and other systems) needed 303s.  I could never fully understand it but he
was convinced it was the only way to scale  I'd still have preferred #'s
for things, but a definitive argument for 303s I've never seen laid out in
a way I could fully understand.