Re: What is a WebID?

Hi Melvin,

On 11/9/23 11:59, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> čt 9. 11. 2023 v 9:37 odesílatel Sebastian Hellmann
> <hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> napsal:
>
>     Hi Melvin,
>
>     I really hoped that this group was about defining a secure,
>     industry-grade standard for decentral identity and authentication.
>

> Yes, it is a secure industry-grade standard for decentralized
> identity.  Just with loose-coupling.
>
>     Maybe as a side objective making Linked Data simpler * . However, it
>     seems that the goal is to re-build FOAF and Schema.org for machine
>     readable data on the web like https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000230/ is
>     one of the  WebID's for Sylvester Stallone, if you are not to
>     pedantic
>     about accepting "url": as the identifier.
>

> FOAF was tied to the original concept, but that's no longer a dependency.
>

>     Now in 2023, I have the feeling that publication and discovery of
>     machine readable data already works well. So what could this group
>     add
>     on top?
>

> What's the alternatives?

> A good checklist here:
>
> https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Principles.html
>
> How many of these principles are adhered to by WebID, and how many by
> the alternatives?

You tell me. What is actually violated in what way, when putting the
following JSON-LD in  <script type="application/ld+json">

{
    "@context" : "https://schema.org",
    "@type" : "Person",
    "birthDate" : "1946-07-06",
    "name" : "Sylvester Stallone",
    "url" : "https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000230/"
}

Because honestly, I really don't see any practical problems.  I also see
that you could add a second context and a public key.

-- Sebastian