Re: Resigning as chair, choosing a chair

On 12/8/23 5:05 PM, Sarven Capadisli wrote:

> On 2023-11-30 15:32, Jacopo Scazzosi wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Some of you have indicated they would like to see the group elect
>     the new chair through a more formal process than that through
>     which I found myself becoming the chair (see 1
>     <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Nov/0146.html>).
>     This seems more than reasonable and, in fact, I myself wasn’t
>     quite sure as to how exactly I was made chair.
>
>     So, I hereby resign as the temporary chair and invite everyone to
>     publicly and formally propose a new chair! Please nominate the
>     person you would want as chair of this group or apply for the
>     position of chair yourselves. Obviously I’d be happy to continue
>     chairing the group with the goal of getting to WebID 1.0 as per 3
>     <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Nov/0121.html>
>     - my own application is implied - but I’m very aware that some of
>     you are immensely more qualified for the job than I am.
>
>     I’ve looked around for any indication of a suggested process for
>     choosing a chair but couldn’t find anything specific (see 2
>     <https://www.w3.org/community/about/process/#chairs>) - hopefully
>     this thread is formal and public enough for the purpose.
>
>     Best, Jacopo.
>
> I'm not sure where I'm going with this but...
>
> What I've raised in
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Nov/0146.html
> was a matter of having some sense of a process, and if anything but to
> have things on public record. It is a call for clarity, not objection.
>
> If you didn't know how you became chair, and you're interested in
> being a chair, the immediate response, in my opinion, should be to
> investigate that, and I mean exhaust all your options and ask for help
> to get to the bottom of it, to make sure things are in the open and
> transparent as they can be. It works towards showing the Group that
> you are acting in good faith, and what people can expect from you,
> your style of leadership and so forth. The response shouldn't be, "I
> don't know how this happened but I'd like to thank the academy, and
> here is how I want everyone to speak, and I'm now editor of this..." :p
>
> Whether a group needs a process or a charter or a decision policy or
> anything for that matter entirely depends on who shows up and can play
> along for the time being and can manage to get things done. Think of
> every word you put down or action you take as a message to yourself
> and others in the future.
>
> The idea is not that there needs to be a rigid process to get things
> done but what kind of steps is one taking to /serve/ the community (as
> a chair.) It is quite literally a privilege to be here and we ought to
> use it for common good. So, how are we enabling or empowering others
> and collectively achieving our goals? After all, our decisions will
> eventually be assessed by others in the future.
>
> I can see your enthusiasm and good intentions, and if this is the path
> [...]

Hi Sarven,

A transparent process was triggered by an email I shared earlier this
week. I would like to assume that we are all now set to conclude this
matter by the end of this week?

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):