Re: Resigning as chair, choosing a chair

On 2023-11-30 15:32, Jacopo Scazzosi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some of you have indicated they would like to see the group elect the new chair through a more formal process than that through which I found myself becoming the chair (see [1]). This seems more than reasonable and, in fact, I myself wasn’t quite sure as to how exactly I was made chair.
>
> So, I hereby resign as the temporary chair and invite everyone to publicly and formally propose a new chair! Please nominate the person you would want as chair of this group or apply for the position of chair yourselves. Obviously I’d be happy to continue chairing the group with the goal of getting to WebID 1.0 as per [3] - my own application is implied - but I’m very aware that some of you are immensely more qualified for the job than I am.
>
> I’ve looked around for any indication of a suggested process for choosing a chair but couldn’t find anything specific (see [2]) - hopefully this thread is formal and public enough for the purpose.
>
> Best,
> Jacopo.
>

> [1]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Nov/0146.html
> [2]: https://www.w3.org/community/about/process/#chairs
> [3]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Nov/0121.html

I'm not sure where I'm going with this but...

What I've raised in
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Nov/0146.html was
a matter of having some sense of a process, and if anything but to have
things on public record. It is a call for clarity, not objection.

If you didn't know how you became chair, and you're interested in being
a chair, the immediate response, in my opinion, should be to investigate
that, and I mean exhaust all your options and ask for help to get to the
bottom of it, to make sure things are in the open and transparent as
they can be. It works towards showing the Group that you are acting in
good faith, and what people can expect from you, your style of
leadership and so forth. The response shouldn't be, "I don't know how
this happened but I'd like to thank the academy, and here is how I want
everyone to speak, and I'm now editor of this..." :p

Whether a group needs a process or a charter or a decision policy or
anything for that matter entirely depends on who shows up and can play
along for the time being and can manage to get things done. Think of
every word you put down or action you take as a message to yourself and
others in the future.

The idea is not that there needs to be a rigid process to get things
done but what kind of steps is one taking to *serve* the community (as a
chair.) It is quite literally a privilege to be here and we ought to use
it for common good. So, how are we enabling or empowering others and
collectively achieving our goals? After all, our decisions will
eventually be assessed by others in the future.

I can see your enthusiasm and good intentions, and if this is the path
you choose, I wish you luck and patience. It can be both exhausting and
exhilarating.

-Sarven
https://csarven.ca/#i