From: Vladimir Levantovsky <vladimir.levantovsky@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 13:03
To: 'Garret Rieger' <grieger@google.com>; 'w3c-webfonts-wg' <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Allowing Developers to request specific codepoints to load

I agree this would be a very useful feature [to allow requesting arbitrary / specific set of characters that may not be part of the actual content] but I think this is an orthogonal feature that should be independent from either patch subset or range request methods. I would envision it as a CSS feature that defines a specific set of codepoints/glyphs, adding it to what would be defined by clients.

I.e., I am not sure this should be defined or discussed as part of the PFE spec, but rather as a generic mechanism to instruct PFE clients to inject codepoints into incremental subset requests. The PFE mechanism would remain content independent, the request is generated by clients and what input/decisions they used to compose the request isn’t relevant for PFE.

Thanks,

Vlad