Re: WOFF 2.0: Known Table Tags Proposal

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com> wrote:

>  I agree, for WOFF 2.0 encoding we should compile a list of popular /
> frequently used tables, and any one-of-a-kind table that is rarely seen can
> simply be treated as an arbitrary tag. As far as table tags in general are
> concerned, the SFNT /TrueType / OpenType common structures presume that all
> original TrueType tags are spelled in lowercase letters, and all other tags
> should be all caps only. The mix of caps / lowercase characters in the same
> tag is not permitted.

Thank you Vlad, Behdad, John and Sergey.

Exploring this ("popular / frequently used tables") further, would we be
open to omitting the older unused Apple/TrueType tables?

For example, with the corpus of fonts that I tested with, I did not find
any fonts using the acnt, avar, bdat, bloc, bsln, cfar, fdsc, fmtx, fvar,
gvar, hsty, lcar, opbd, prop, track or Zapf tables.  Rather, the few that
were used include: feat, just, mort, motx.  Were we open to exploring this,
we would likely want to check a larger collection of fonts to confirm of
course.

To summarize (and capture the most recent proposals), shall we add tags for
the following known tables:

[ See column B, with the additional tables highlighted in green ]
https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheets/d/111MT0l7LOVqotAnMXD4PMOm36jTPSznUigJPfxUYY_0/edit#gid=0

(1) OpenType tables that were missed earlier: EBSC, JSTF, DSIG
(2) Color font proposals: CBDT, CBLC, sbix, COLR, CPAL, "SVG "
(3) Apple/TrueType tables (which are still used*): feat, just, mort, morx
(4) Microsoft MATH table: MATH
(5) SIL Graphite (non-standardized) tables: Silf, Glat, Gloc, Feat, Sill

(*) Assumes we are open to dropping Apple/TrueType tables that are no
longer used (see above).