Re: [widgets] How to divorce widgets-digsig from Elliptic Curve PAG?

On Wednesday, 21 December 2011 at 16:25, Rigo Wenning wrote:

> Hi Art,
>
> the pessimistic XMLSECPAG chair told you that it wouldn't resolve within days.
> But I hope to have a clear view and plan by the end of January. Executing that
> plan may take some time. Plan is to resolve until end of March, if everything
> goes well. Well meaning a decision of the PAG and the execution thereof, not
> necessarily finding a way to destroy the disclosed patents.
>
> The three years can be explained by very promising negotiations with Certicom
> on an RF license that finally failed because of an overreaching clause on
> defensive suspension. We were really close to a resolution.

I think that is all fine, but splitting the tainted part of the spec out would still be the right thing to do (for the sake of decupling the algorithms from the processing model). I would again ask the XML Sec WG to consider that option. I've already outlined the benefits of doing that and we could have the spec progress much faster without having to wait at a minimum of 3 months to make progress.