Re: WebCGM 2.0 appendix progress

On Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 6:05:12 PM, Al wrote:

AG> Before final sign off on the appendix, we would like clarification
AG> as to how the user can change the colors of WebCGM documents to
AG> address issues such as high contrast for low vision and changes for
AG> color blindness. These are addressed in SVG through the use of
AG> styling.

The possibilities of styling for CGM were examined quite some years ago,
and it was concluded that current styling mechanisms were not at all
well suited to restyling CGM.

Use of CGM as a Scalable Graphics Format
W3C NOTE 18-June-1997
Roy Platon, Chris Lilley
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-cgm-970618

Indeed, this was one of the things that demonstrated the need for an
XML-based graphical format like SVG.

The colors in CGM are essentially hard coded and not restylable. In
theory, that sounds like a problem. In practice, you will find that 99%
of actual WebCGMs are in black and white (with perhaps red) so are
already very high contrast.

AG> ** on the process

AG> Will there be a telecon tomorrow? I believe Lofton is unavailable.

There will; I believe Thierry is chairing in his stead.

AG> I think that the hyperlink is a simple matter that doesn't require
AG> discussion. We might want to talk about the "how the user can change
AG> the colors" question above.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead