Re: Proposal to add a browsing context named "_private"

Hi Tanvi,

Thanks for bringing the previous discussion to my notice. The crux, if I am
getting this right, was allowing websites to request the browser to open
them in Incognito mode via headers. This compliments links which have
target="_private" as the bowser can make use of both these hints. However,
the scope of these two suggestions is slightly different: while sending of
headers can be done when the user types in the URL himself,
target="_private" covers only cases when the referrer *thinks* that the
target website should be opened in incognito mode.

Other than that, they share similar problems and benefits: both can be
exploited for phishing attacks, both require (some) standardization of
private mode browsing, and both make the private mode feature more
discoverable.

Following the discussion here, I have come to believe that giving websites
ability to manipulate history in any way would be a Bad Idea (TM) and that
if a user runs into a handful of links which require permissions pop-ups
again and again, they would become annoying and will be ignored. I am still
undecided about domain-wide time-limited ask-once permissions to allow
private mode browsing.

Nevertheless, as someone who would use this feature, I am happy that there
is at least some interest in it. I hope that I was able to contribute a
different, albeit incomplete, solution. :)

~
ut