[permissions] Extending the Permissions spec to cover general infrastructure

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@google.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 14:21:11 -0700
To: public-webappsec@w3.org
TL;DR: The Permissions spec is changing; watch issues and PRs at
https://github.com/w3c/permissions to help us stay on the right track.

The "Permissions API" spec at https://w3c.github.io/permissions/ has
started growing infrastructure over the last several months to help
other specs deal with their own permission questions in a consistent
way. https://webbluetoothcg.github.io/web-bluetooth/,
https://storage.spec.whatwg.org/,
https://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/, and
https://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-main/ have expressed interest so
far. To reflect that it's not just an API anymore, we've renamed it to
just "Permissions", and we're trying to fix the places the spec is
imprecise, doesn't reflect reality, or doesn't give other specs the
simplest tools it could to aid their interaction with the permission
system.

One of the biggest known issues is that we handle temporary permission
grants very badly. Chime in at
https://github.com/w3c/permissions/issues/86 to talk about how to
model this.

Other than that, I'll be filing PRs to clean up the spec over the next
several months, and I'd appreciate anyone who's interested commenting
on them. I don't currently intend to ping this list for each one, but
I could if folks generally want me to.

Thanks,
Jeffrey