Re: [credential management] Cross-origin credentials (was: Identity Credentials API Extension)

Let's define what cross-origin means here, as it is itself an overloaded
term, and perhaps that is at the root of some of the difficulties here:

Cross-origin might mean:

1) Providing a pointer to another origin where the user will complete some
part of an authentication ceremony.

Cross-origin information exchange in this model may be mediated through the
browser with POSTs, redirects, or message channels, but the authentication
protocol is built entirely out of those generic web platform features with
no special exceptions to web privacy and security invariants.   An example
of this is the browser remembering a hint like "this is my OpenID
identifier" or "I use Facebook to login at this site."  These identifiers
might be linkable across origins, or a federated provider might send the
same claims to multiple relying parties, but the ceremonies that control
this disclosure are directly between the user and the application, not
mediated through browser chrome or special purpose features.

An advantage the proposed API can provide over cookies for this use case is
that a browser or third-party manager may have shared state orthogonal to
the cookie store.  e.g. I can log into Firefox, Chrome or LastPass on a
brand new device and it can synchronize that state for me in a manner in
which it would not be appropriate to simply copy cookies across devices, or
I can clear my cookies for siteX to avoid it tracking me while logged out,
but still have the user agen,t which acts in my interests and under my
control, assist me in logging back in.

2) A logical provider of authentication assertions under control of the
user that is shared among multiple origins but which does not share data
across origins.

An example of this kind of "cross-origin" system might be a FIDO token that
can be used to log into many sites, but which provides unique and
unlinkable credentials to each origin.  Or an OTP / code-generator app like
Google Authenticator or DUO Mobile with a single user ceremony and logical
identifier but per-origin privacy and state.  Again, these systems do not
have any special exemptions to existing web security and privacy
invariants. (although, as in the case of FIDO, such a system might rely on
the user agent to give it a trustworthy indication of the origin it is
communicating with)  No user data flows across origins.

It seems reasonable to target an extensibility API to include these in
scope for a v1 API, but they often have proprietary APIs that are tightly
coupled to application implementations, and may have out-of-band
information flows or multiple round trips that are costly to model in an
abstract API.  (e.g. FIDO defines local APIs to communicate between the DOM
and an authenticator, mediated by the browser, but doesn't define any
standard way to express a "login with FIDO" button or even network
transports for the protocol messages)

3) A logical provider of authentication assertions under control of the
user that has multi-origin scope but shared state.

An example of this would be a traditional PKI client certificate, which
could be sent to any site, but which identifies the user with assertions
that are persistent identifiers which can be trivially cross-linked by
anyone to whom they are sent.  The experience is mediated by the browser
(but in a way that no web property really likes because they can't control
it) because it happens at the transport layer and violates the typically
expected privacy invariants of the web.   Client certificates are
particularly bad because without renegotiation they also leak linkable,
private data to passive network observers.

This is starting to get closer to what the Credentials CG is thinking of in
terms of durable assertions attested by 3rd parties about a user.  It is
also more difficult to deal with because of the necessary browser mediation
to manage invariant violations.  Lots of people like public key
authentication, but not many people like a browser-mediated UX they can't
control or customize, and the privacy properties of legacy client certs are
also troublesome.   This stuff has been around for almost 20 years with
plenty of attempts to make it better and very little success.

Platforms that look like (1) have found much more adoption because relying
on the user agent to mediate and execute a protocol is just not that
attractive at scale.  Both ends of the transaction lose the ability to
rapidly iterate, A/B test and improve on their ceremonies with the user,
and to upgrade protocols and versions at their own speed.  If site A trusts
credential provider B to send an assertion and there is a need to upgrade,
A and B can upgrade, can apply mutual incentives to do so on a coordinated
and expedited schedule (even for many-to-many relationships), and things
work for all users as soon as they do.  When you involve a user agent, now
every user has to upgrade, too, and the applications have to support many
inconsistent (and possibly insecure) versions across a long tail of browser
upgrades.  Even the largest application providers don't tend to find this
to be a tractable problem or a good use of their resources.

4) Then we come to the class of cross-origin credentials with Linked Data
that Manu's doc and Dave's comments seem to describe.  Cross-origin data
flows that are exceptions to Web privacy and security invariants (and
therefore require mediation through the browser for user consent), querying
and discovery cross-origins, aggregation of assertions from multiple
origins into composite credentials (greatly complicating the required
browser mediation), assertions containing durable and linkable data
(potentially transiting over insecure or at least TBD-but-not-HTTPS with
Web PKI identity), and key parts of the protocol (cryptographic operations)
that have to be implemented by the user agent.

This is a completely different beast than anything that exists today and I
think there is no good reason to even try for a common API since there will
be no clients of such an API that won't a-priori know which system they
want to interact with.  At that point it is a matter of basic secure design
to limit unnecessary abstraction and have the most economic and appropriate
mechanisms for each.

What kind of cross-origin do you mean?