Re: [integrity] What should we hash?

From: Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:56:44 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
Hi Mark and William

William said:
> I have a question on what an implementor needs to do WRT to file downloads.
> My understanding is implementors are not required to buffer a file in memory
> until the integrity check, right? Presumably we can still stream the
> download to a temporary file or something somewhere. Sorry if this has
> already been discussed somewhere else previously.

Absolutely. BTW, what does Chrome do today to check against the
malware blacklists for downloads? I believe that should be a
comparable implementation.

William said:
> recompress. Can't you just keep the compressed bytestream and not have to
> spend CPU cycles on recompressing? Decompression is only for integrity
> verification, right?

Yes, you are right. But, if I understand you right, you are still in
support of Boris's idea (spec text like below)?

Mark said:
> --8<--
> The hash is calculated against the representation <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-26#section-3.1.1.5> without any content-codings applied, except when there is an explicit flag that the content is to be consumed with content-encodings (e.g., saving a gzip'd file to disk).
> -->8---

Oops! Yeah, you are right and you had already clarified this. That was
a mistake in my email. Sorry about that. Although, I don't know what
you mean by "explicit flag" above. Whats the explicit flag when
gzip'ed files are downloaded?

thanks
Dev