Re: [integrity] What should we hash?

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 09:47:56 +1000
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
To: Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>
That language isn’t quite right; as I think / hope I said before, ‘representation’ encompasses content-codings. I think you need something more like this:

—8<—
The hash is calculated against the representation <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-26#section-3.1.1.5> without any content-codings applied, except when there is an explicit flag that the content is to be consumed with content-encodings (e.g., saving a gzip’d file to disk).
—>8---

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/