Re: Normative references to Workers.

On 9/16/15 4:47 AM, Mike West wrote:
> Note that this is an issue that's going to come up for a number of
> WebAppSec specs
> (see https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/powerfulfeatures/#issue-a30f61b8
> <https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/powerfulfeatures/#issue-a30f61b8>,
> for instance (and that spec also needs a few things that are missing
> from W3C's HTML, but are present in WHATWG's)). What I hear so far on
> this thread is that we should simply reference the WHATWG version of
> those specs, which seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Yes, for the scenario you mention, I agree with you.

The grey area is when a feature is defined by both a W3C WG and WHATWG.
Because of the consortium's Patent Policy, I suspect consensus among
consortium members is to use the W3C spec for normative references.
However, if the W3C spec is no longer actively maintained by a WG, then
normatively referencing a WHATWG spec would (IMHO) be appropriate and I
think the Normative Reference Policy [NRP] supports such a scenario.

In this specific case, I don't believe anyone has committed to actively
maintain W3C Web Workers. As such, WebApps - do we have a volunteer?
Please let us know (or send me private e-mail if you prefer).

-Thanks, AB

[NRP] <http://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references>