Service Workers 1 and Nightly

From: Jungkee Song <jungkee.song@samsung.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:22:53 +0900
To: 'WebApps WG' <public-webapps@w3.org>
Cc: 'Alex Russell' <slightlyoff@google.com>, jakearchibald@google.com
Hi all,

We editors are happy to announce that we make a new branch for Service
Workers 1 today [1].

Thanks to all the contributions, Service Workers 1 now covers the
fundamental model and the associated APIs to support offline-first and
background processing requirements. The features in this version include:
 - Register/Update/Unregister of a service worker registration
 - Handle fetch events
 - Fetch and Cache resources
 - Manage service worker clients
 - Communicate between a client and a service worker
 - Define interfaces and algorithms for extensions (Push, Notification,
etc.)
([2] is the remaining issues for this version in the github issue tracker.)

On top of the above work, the contributors are now ready to continue with
the discussions about new features including foreign fetch [3], fetch
event's request's client, header-based installation, kill-switch, and so
forth. These efforts will be put in Service Workers Nightly [4] which is
just a new name for the original ED branch.

We are planning to publish a CR based on Service Workers 1 soon during which
we would like to focus on stabilizing the features (bug fix) and resolving
compatibility issues among multiple implementations.

For editors,
Jungkee

[1] https://slightlyoff.github.io/ServiceWorker/spec/service_worker_1/
[2]