Re: template namespace attribute proposal

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:06:34 -0700
Cc: Benjamin Lesh <blesh@netflix.com>, Austin William Wright <aaa@bzfx.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Adam Klein <adamk@chromium.org>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

> On Mar 16, 2015, at 3:14 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [Sorry for the reply-chain breaking; Gmail is being super weird about
> your message in particular, and won't let me reply directly to it.
> Some bug.]
>
> Karl Dubost said:
>> The intersection seems to be:
>> ['a', 'style', 'script', 'track', 'title', 'canvas', 'source', 'video', 'iframe', 'audio', 'font']
>
> Whoops, sorry, forgot about <title>.  We can resolve that conflict in
> favor of SVG; putting an html <title> into a <template> is, I suspect,
> exceedingly rare.

That may be true but the added complexity of <title> inside a template element being special (i.e. it’s treated as SVG instead of HTML) may not be worth the effort.  HTML parser is already complex enough that using a simple rule of always falling back to HTML if element names are ambiguous may result in a better overall developer ergonomics.

- R. Niwa