Re: Base Template (Was Re: Minimum viable custom elements)

From: Jan Miksovsky <jan@component.kitchen>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:42:44 -0800
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Jan Miksovsky <jan@component.kitchen>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
To: public-webapps@w3.org, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
Dimitri: Okay, I can follow up with Ryosuke. I’m happy to share our thoughts and needs for subclassing components.

Anne/Steve: I’d originally indicated that this technique couldn't be applied to extending native HTML elements. Since the two of your seemed interested in that, I spent some time tinkering with the idea, and it turns out that this technique can be made to work for that situation. I’ve posted a quick demo (http://janmiksovsky.github.io/base-template/extendButton.html <http://janmiksovsky.github.io/base-template/extendButton.html>) showing subclassing of a standard HTML button element. This works best under native Shadow DOM. Under polyfilled Shadow DOM, base class styles can’t (yet?) be inherited.

Anyway, I mention this in case it opens up some ideas. Thanks for the inspiration!