Re: Are web components *seriously* not namespaced?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 12:15:43 +1100
To: Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>
Cc: Glen <glen.84@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:
> I predict that sometime around 2025, we will end up redefining namespaces
> because the number of jQuery-like components have ballooned into the
> millions, the web has descended once again into a sea of interoperability,
> and registries will, once again, have proven to be a bottleneck, as they
> have EVERY SINGLE TIME they have been implemented.

Yes, real namespacing does eventually prove necessary as the
population grows.  That's fine.  It's something that can be added
organically as necessary; letting everything live in the null
namespace first doesn't harm future namespacing efforts.

> Of course, they won't be called namespaces, and they'll probably use a dash
> instead of a colon , and they definitely won't be XML based because everyone
> knows that XML is EVIL ... (sigh) !

There are more namespacing solutions in heaven and earth, Horatio,
than are dreamt of in your XML.  Most of them don't commit the same
mistakes that XML namespaces did.