Re: Custom element design with ES6 classes and Element constructors

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 10:07:31 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> Wanting things like custom buttons is _very_ common.  What is your proposal
>> for addressing this use case?
>
> I have no good answer. appearance:button seems to work okayish

I think we're having a miscommunication here.

appearance:button can give you something that looks like a button.  But
it doesn't _act_ like one.

What I'm asking is what people who want an actual button but with some
additional APIs on it are supposed to do.  This is the basic idea of
subclassing built-ins: get something that acts like the built-in as far
as the browser is concerned but has some additional functionality on it.

-Boris