Re: [Selection] Support of Multiple Selection (was: Should selection.getRangeAt return a clone or a reference?)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Mats Palmgren <mats@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2015 07:59 PM, Ben Peters wrote:
>>
>> Multiple selection is an important feature in the future.
>

> Indeed, there are many important use cases for it.
>
> Here are some use cases that are implemented using multi-range selections
> in Gecko today:
>  * visual selection of bidirectional text
>  * selecting table columns
>  * selecting multiple fragments of arbitrary content (just hold CTRL)
>  * selection with disjoint unselected islands due to CSS user-select:none
>  * mapping spell-checking errors
>  * highlighting matched words for "Find in Page"
> etc

If we ever want to make selection of text in pages using Flexbox or
Grid make sense, we'll need multiple selections, too.  The assumption
that you can accurately capture a visually-contiguous block of content
with two DOM endpoints is rapidly becoming untenable.

~TJ