Custom Elements: is=""

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:25:21 +0200
To: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Open issues are kept track of here:

  https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Custom_Elements

I think we reached rough consensus at the Extensible Web Summit that
is="" does not do much, even for accessibility. Accessibility is
something we need to tackle low-level by figuring out how builtin
elements work:

  https://github.com/domenic/html-as-custom-elements

And we need to tackle it high-level by making it easier to style
builtin elements:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-forms/

And if the parser functionality provided by is="" is of great value,
we should consider parsing elements with a hyphen in them differently.
Similar to how <script> and <template> are allowed pretty much
everywhere.

Therefore, I propose that we move subclassing of builtin elements to
v2, remove is="" from the specification, and potentially open an issue
on HTML parser changes.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/