Re: {Spam?} Re: [xhr]

On 9/2/14 9:10 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>>> Sorry. As with showModalDialog() we would really like to make this
>>> generation
>>
>> Perhaps we should set some sense of expectation about*when*  it won't
>> work. Different parts of the Web move on different timelines.
>
> Right.

Given this, it seems like the current Note should indeed be updated to
reflect this reality:

[[
<http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/#the-open()-method>
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/default/xhr-1/Overview.html#the-open()-method>

Warning: Developers must not pass false for the async argument when the
JavaScript global environment is a document environment as it has
detrimental effects to the end user's experience. User agents are
strongly encouraged to warn about such usage in developer tools and may
experiment with throwing an "InvalidAccessError" exception when it
occurs so the feature can eventually be removed from the platform.
]]

Is there a good (enuf) precedence on the deprecation warning that can be
reuse? If not, how about something like:

[[
Warning: synchronous XHR is in the process of being deprecated i.e. it
will eventually be  removed from the Web platform. As such, developers
must not pass false for the async argument when the JavaScript global
environment is a document environment as it has detrimental effects to
the end user's experience. User agents are strongly encouraged to warn
about such usage in developer tools and the tool may experiment with
throwing an "InvalidAccessError" exception.
]]

Robert, Anne, All, WDYT?

-AB