Re: {Spam?} Re: [xhr]

From: Brendan Eich <brendan@secure.meer.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 18:10:29 -0700
To: chaals@yandex-team.ru
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Robert Hanson <hansonr@stolaf.edu>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>> Sorry. As with showModalDialog() we would really like to make this
>> >  feature disappear. I realize this makes some forms of code generation
>> >  harder, but hopefully you can find a way around that in time.
>
> Perhaps we should set some sense of expectation about*when*  it won't work. Different parts of the Web move on different timelines.

Right.

Also (I am a WHATWG cofounder) it is overreach to promise obsolescence
on any timeline on the Web. Robert should not worry about real browser
implementors breaking content by removing sync XHR -- to do so would be
to lose market share.

In this light, WHATWG should avoid making indefinite-timescale,
over-ambitious assertions. The W3C was rightly faulted when we founded
the WHATWG for doing so.

/be