Re: [fullscreen] Problems with mouse-edge scrolling and games

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:40:44 -0600
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Cc: Thibaut Despoulain <thibaut@artillery.com>, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com>, Ian Langworth <ian@artillery.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
(More reasons: it's very likely that you'll end up implementing a cursor
with different motion and acceleration, a different "feel", than the real
mouse cursor.  It also breaks accessibility features, like mouse trails.)

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>>
>> It's not the application's job to keep the mouse cursor responsive, it's
>> the system's.  Hiding the system mouse cursor and drawing one manually is
>> always a bad idea.
>>

> That's a wonderful argument. And now we look at an FPS game,  or an Oculus
> Rift title, or something that requires something else than a picture cursor
> like say, an on terrain selection, a bounding box selection, a 3D ray
> picking selection/cursor, or anything like that.
>
> Always a bad idea, sure. How about you think about that again hm?

This doesn't seem to relate to the discussion, which is about mouse
pointers.

--
Glenn Maynard