Re: [webcomponents] Encapsulation and defaulting to open vs closed (was in www-style)

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com> wrote:
>> Until we can agree on this, Type 2 feels like an attractive nuisance and, on
>> reflection, one that I think we should punt to compilers like caja in the
>> interim. If toolkits need it, I'd like to understand those use-cases from
>> experience.
>
>I think Maciej explains fairly well in
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011AprJun/1364.html
>why it's good to have. Also, Type 2 can be used for built-in elements,
>which I thought was one of the things we are trying to solve here.

The desire to retrofit built-ins into cross-browser component technology
has not been very helpful to deliver component technology into the hands
of authors.

I also note that "Encapsulation against deliberate access" would make it
quite difficult to automate components for testing and other purposes;
in many cases you would be unable to make a reduced test case that shows
some defect in a third party component that others can load in their web
browser without difficulty; and automation tools would need a privileged
API to break the encapsulation.